Sunday, April 3, 2011

Victorious!

So, I know I announced a vegan diet in my first post, but I want to just state that this is all a learning experience for me, and very experimental as I try to figure out how to follow the word of wisdom. One thing I've learned is that the word of wisdom is not strictly a vegetarian or vegan diet, but the closer you stick to those, the better health you will have. My goal is to be able to form our meals around healthy grains, vegetables, legumes, and fruit. Organic produce is a priority. I learned that milk and eggs have a season, mostly spring and fall where it is produced abundantly without artificially interfering with natural cycles. I think the key might be now to seek out the organic, local suppliers.
So I guess what this disclaimer is really about, is that I'm not going back on my first post if I eat dairy. I'm committed to living the word of wisdom, and as I learn more and experiment more, what I thought I knew may become irrelevant to living this lifestyle. Going from strict vegan in post 1 to circumstantial vegetarian in post 2 was a direct result of further reading on how to really live this principle of promise.

So now onto my little victory. The girls wanted macaroni and cheese. We have a few boxes left, and we are still in a bit of transition because it requires a completely different pantry than the one we kept previously. Cailin made a request for tuna fish in it, which Jenna echoed, and Mike seemed to encourage.
I was SO frustrated. I know the girls don't understand the changes and they've been such troopers trying to choke down some of the less than successful dinners I've tried. But Mike, well, he knows where I stand, and I really don't appreciate his lack of support because I'm trying to nourish my family and follow the Lord's commandments and it's hard when not a single one of them stands with me. He's the only one who knows enough to choose to do so.
So I was boiling water for the already infamous box of processed food, seeing the can of tuna he so helpfully aided the girls in getting out of the cupboard, and I was fuming... so much so that I issued a warning to the little vultures gathered around my feet that it was not a good time to be in the kitchen with me. Mike quickly ushered them out of my way. My brain was going on overtime. Tuna fish? Am I really going to go along with this? And then I wondered if I could somehow do something to improve the nutrition of this meal, and I quickly set to work, steaming some veggies and chopping them up so that there was as much vegetables as noodles. I used a little butter and the fake cheese powder, but next time I'll have a better solution, but what I created tasted wonderful and was like a cheesy broccoli pasta dish.
The girls ate it, my husband loved it, and I'll enjoy it when it's whole grain and all natural products - which I am now on a mission to create the perfect recipe so that my kids will still ask for macaroni and cheese, but it can nourish them, not just fill their stomachs.

Veggies in mac and cheese may not seem so monumental to many of you, but I have never cooked or ate to nourish myself. It's always been to satisfy gluttony, as shaming as that is to say, but flavor, content, and quantity were what I cooked and ate for a majority of my life. Vegetables don't satisfy any of that, so why eat them? They take work and it requires that you even buy any. Everything I am doing right now is new to me. So if it seems basic and elementary, it is. It should be common sense, but application is the key to 'knowing' stuff. You can know vegetables are good for you and easily rarely eat them.

No comments:

Post a Comment