Monday, April 11, 2011

Adapted to the Capacity of the Weak

A word of wisdom, for the benefit of the saints of Zion, sent by revelation, showing the will of God for the temporal salvation of all saints in the lasts days. Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints.
Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation.
All wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man. Every herb, every fruit, to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
Flesh of beast and of the fowls of the air, are to be used sparingly. And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used. Only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine. These hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.
All grain is to be the staff of life.
All who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones, and shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge. And shall run and not be weary and shall walk and not faint.
And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

Adapted to the capacity of the weak... the footnote attached to "weak" leads us to 2 Cor 12:10, D&C 1:19, and TG Humility.
Respectively, each reference teaches:
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong. (Weak is once more attached to a footnote TG Humility.)
The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh. (Weak footnote = TG meek.)

I have many times denounced the verses that teach us that it is pleasing to the Lord that we spare his creatures except for when in dire need. I was not humble, submissive, or teachable by the Spirit. I didn't want to listen, it was hard, it would take work to learn a new way, and that was more important than making a choice that was pleasing to my Savior. I justified and rationalized that since it wasn't a commandment, it had no part in my life. Until I opened my heart to truly understand how this principle could bless my life, I had ears that would not hear and eyes that would not see.
This principle was adapted to the capacity of the humble. Of the meek. Of those prepared to open their hearts and be blessed. I know this, because I could not follow this principle until I humbled myself. Only the meek strive to please their Lord.
I also feel that I am at times 'the weakest of the saints.' Overweight and unhealthy, weak to appetites and indulgences, and this promise is adapted so that even I can follow it. It may take work, but it is absolutely possible for someone like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment